Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Oven Fried Chicken

Dear Colonel Sanders,
I miss you. We used to be friends. Now we are enemies. Your delicious crunchy skin. Salty, greasy fingers. Remember how I would come to visit you? And you would give me buckets of chicken and crisp fries? Oh those were the days....


Last year, I drove through the Southern States, fried chicken capital of the world. Oh how I craved it. Obviously there was no way I could though.

I poured through recipes looking for the best. Cast iron fry pans, well seasoned. Frying lid on, then taking lid off, or maybe it was the other way around.

I had a whole chicken and attempted to cut it into 8 pieces. I've done it before in cooking class many many years ago. I must have failed. That poor chicken. I ended up with the kitchen shears and continued absolutely butchering the chicken.
Which is why I now use chicken drumsticks. Easy and it cooks nicely so you don't have to worry about different sizes, shapes and cooking times.

Easy Oven Fried Chicken

Preheat oven to 400°F .

  • 8 chicken legs
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 1/2 cups of seasoned gluten free flour - I used my regular flour Mix A
  • 2-4 tablespoons of butter

Dip the chicken legs in oil or shake in a freezer bag with oil in it.

Transfer to a freezer bag with  seasoned flour and shake until all pieces are covered. I used
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
This was for 2 cups of flour but I found that was a little too much flour, not enough spice.

Carefully take out and let them rest on a platter.Make sure they don't have a really thick coating of flour since you're not really frying them.

In your roasting pan, melt 2-4 tbsp of butter and then carefully place each leg in the hot roasting pan.

After about 35-40 minutes, turn carefully and continue cooking for about 20 minutes or until golden brown all over.





Updated: 10/30/10
I made these again and decided to take a whole bunch of blurry photos for you. 
Apparently I need my eyes checked? 








Eat. Lick Fingers.

Check out more fabulous recipes at Gluten Free Wednesdays 

3 comments:

  1. Looks tasty! Fried chicken is not something I have missed so I never make it, but my family might enjoy it. This would be a great recipe to try. Thanks for participating in Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad there is gluten free flour nothing better than oven fried chicken

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made it a few times and it's just so much easier than frying chicken. We keep buying chicken legs whenever they are on sale just for this dish.

    ReplyDelete