Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Iced Tea

Iced tea. So many different versions

There's the sweet lemon Nestea version.

Then there's the unsweetened iced tea that is so popular in America. Growing up, you would go over to the States and order Iced Tea, forgetting that you are supposed to add your own sweetener. Always a quick reminder with that first sip.

There is southern sweet tea most recently popularized by McDonald's sweet tea. My first sweet tea was in the morning heat of Las Vegas. I ordered a large, not knowing that large actually means massive and not knowing that it most likely contained a month's worth of sugar. I remember sipping it once and when we came across the next Sonic, I soon had a Cherry Lime Slush in my drink holder rather than the iced tea. Much much too sweet for me.

When I was younger, we used to make Iced Tea all the time which I loved. Certainly I could make the powdered Nestea version but I like making my own.

I recently bought a huge 1 gallon pitcher  and set out to recreate the iced tea we used to make.

You can split this into 2 smaller 2 liter containers since that's what most people have.


10 cups boiled water
4 tea bags - I use 3 family size Decaf Lemon Lipton Iced Tea bags
1 cup of sugar
1 can of frozen lemonade

Steep the tea bags in boiling water. 5-10 minutes depending on your desired strength
Remove tea bags and add 1 cup sugar stirring to dissolve.
Add the lemonade and let melt. Fill with cold water, filling the gallon pitcher
Stir to combine and chill.

If you are using two jugs, use half the water, 2 tea bags, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 can lemonade in each and then fill to the top with water. 


Grab a glass, sit on the porch and watch the boats go by!!

No comments:

Post a Comment