Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Guacamole

Avocados.

I was never really into avocados. Picky eater.  Going gluten-free, I found that I'll eat a lot more things that I never would have even looked at before. Because it's food. That I can eat.

Before this though, I had tried guacamole at ... surprise, surprise... an Irish pub. It actually had flavour. It was almost as if it had some taco seasoning in it. Perfect for nachos.
Since then I've been making guacamole with cumin and cayenne in it for that extra spice.

I take tortilla chips and guac to work sometimes as it's an easy snack. We have it all the time on hot sunny afternoons as an appetizer. Margaritas, salsa, fajitas, chips and guac and I'm a happy girl.


Spicy Mexican Guacamole

3 ripe avocados
1 lime, cut in half
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1-2 cloves minced garlic
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper - to taste
1/4 - 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 plum tomato, diced(optional)

Halve the avocados and remove the pit. Scoop into a medium bowl and mash. Add the juice of 1/2 the lime.
Mix into avocado.
Add red onion and garlic, cayenne, cumin, salt  and mix well. Gently toss in the tomato if you are using it.  Squeeze the remaining 1/2 of lime over the guacamole and cover tightly. Refrigerate mixture for about 1-2 hours so the flavours blend together.
Enjoy with tortilla chips!!!



It's certainly easier to make guacamole by hand  but I just bought a Ninja and it works fabulous for guac.


This post is linked to Simply Gluten Free's Gluten Free Photo Contest. 

2 comments: